Monday, 14 October 2013
Shape of thought
Wednesday, 23 October 2013
Tuesday, 7 January 2014
Tuesday, 21 January 2014
Thursday, 30 January 2014
|pressing coils in the mould.|
|smoothing and "knitting" together|
|strengthening the edges|
|filling in corners|
|cutting off excess clay with the cutting wire|
|leveling edges with metal ruler|
|making porcelain slip "bubble"|
|I love doing this!|
|pressing a nut in the corners|
|adding porcelain bubble|
|marking future cutting line|
|ready for drying|
|out of the mould|
|drying near the window|
|applying porcelain slip|
|fun and very messy bit|
|dry and ready for bisque firing|
Tuesday, 4 February 2014
|Getting ready for first bisque firing|
Tuesday, 4 February 2014
This is what I expected, as I used the same combination of glazes as on the Gateway arch:
Sunday, 9 February 2014
|porcelain slip, no glaze|
|thin clear glaze|
|thin copper wash|
Monday, 17 February 2014
Saturday, 1 March 2014
I am really pleased with the way bolts fit into the spaces for them:
If you don't work with clay, you are probably wandering why is this such a big deal. The thing is, the clay shrinks...and every clay shrinks differently so the exact size is difficult to predict if you have not tested the clay.
Here is the shrinkage example:
First triangle (top left) is freshly made, second is leather hard and third bone dry.
Bottom row: first is bone dry, second bisque fired and third glaze fired to 1210oC.
Lines are 3 cm apart.
Tuesday, 11 March 2014
Sunday, 16 March 2014
The first problem: due to its shape (tapering angles) I can't accurately measure the size of the triangle.
Solution: make slightly oversized model and see how my shapes fit on top.
If I haven't totally blundered in making the shapes, the angles should match....
and they do.
So do the angles on the brackets.
in the moment of practical inspiration I drew the clay shape on the transparency and copied it 6 times. Position of the holes is important.
And there I found it!
The hole on the bracket needs to be 5 mm further from the center. Therefore the bracket needs to be 5 mm longer on each side, as you can see on the paper model (right).
So, back to the bracket making, measuring, connecting and testing the theory....
and this time it works:
Do you want to see it right way up?
Thursday, 24 April 2014
I am planning to put the sphere together on the weekend - trial run. It worries me terribly - will I be able to connect it? will it break?
It feels little bit like constructing the house of cards. one wrong move and it all collapses. Not a reassuring thought.
This was also a chance to count all the triangles and, I cant quite believe it.... I am ONE triangle short.
I thought that I made plenty spares....but obviously not
Quite a few broke in the last batch
so I guess you won't hear from me for a while. I need to make, dry,fire,glaze and fire again some more triangles.Again.
Tuesday, 27 May 2014
Second row is already difficult to handle.
Thursday, 29 May 2014
The way that pieces broke is really interesting. I would of thought that they would break on the weakest point - narrowest part of the shape, following the construction ( coils) line.
But no, breaks are closer to the middle of the shape and do not follow the lines of coils.
Well, at least I know I can't blame fractures on bad claywork.
I am questioning everything: materials, construction method, design.....
I don't think it is the weight of sculpture as I did not get very far with the assembly, and it was not the bottom pieces that were breaking.
Somebody familiar with the way the skeleton and human body works says that she is familiar with this type of fractures. That is the way our bones break, apparently.
I like the comparison to the skeleton and bones. It speaks of organic origins that intrigue me and inspire my work.