Tuesday 21 January 2014

Decisions                                                                                

I have decided that radius of my sphere will be 80cm (diameter 160 cm). I am too cautious to make it any bigger on the first attempt. That way, if I make full sphere it will stand slightly shorter than an average human.
In the past few weeks while the blog was silent, I was busy designing triangles.
 I want the object to be reminiscent of pollens, planktons, molecules and similar “building blocks” in nature (remember the images at the beginning of the blog??) I definitely don’t want it to look mathematical and geometrical. I also don’t want it to look like clay shingles or ceramic tiles mounted on underlining structure. No, the object has to have “biological” qualities...so I have to introduce randomness ...and holes. Holes are interesting... they make you aware of the thickness of the material, inner surfaces and even objects on the other side. They provide visual interest and rhythm.
Unfortunately they also complicate design as inner surfaces need to be visually as thought out as outer ones...and in this case they (holes, that is) eliminate the possibility of having struts structure underneath.

After several attempts I have settled on this shape:

Here is attempt of drawing - imagining what it will look like:


How will I make it?
How will I put it together?
Assembling part first:


Pieces will be made by press moulding in plaster moulds.
As I can't make correct angles in the mould (or I will not be able to get clay out) I have to cut them afterwards.
Drawings on top of the visual diary page ( above) illustrate cutting line.
Should be achievable.
Careful planning at this stage is really important. More problem solving I can do now,I will have less problems later.

No comments:

Post a Comment