Monday 29 December 2014

Segue                                                                                                            


Let's take a step back from glazes. I need to create several indoor size sculptures and I'm thinking of geodesic dome as a starting point. First I thought of using a wooden mould,and I have to admit that I had lots of fun making it.


 But once made, I was not quite happy with it. I think that the triangles are too small.
So, back to the drawing board and change from 3v dome to 2v dome - it means less triangles for the same circumference.
Also, I have decided to make plaster mould rather than wooden one as it is more rigid.
With this size and shape mould, I will use paper plaster. It has many benefits - I don't need to use cottles, it uses significantly less plaster, which makes it lighter and it is very strong.

Here we go:
left: cardboard model, protected with sticky back plastic
middle & right: applying the "milk coat". Sometimes I make slipcasting moulds the same way so I am in the habit of applying thick "milk coat"

left: smoothing first layer of plaster
middle: finished first layer ("milk coat")
right: mixing second batch of plaster and adding paper pulp ( as soon as plaster has absorbed water)

left: paper plaster can be applied immediately - addition of  
paper makes it stiffer sooner so it holds it's shape
middle: checking that the bottom of the mould is level
right:bottom half of the mould is finished


left: top half is made the same way, except for the opening on the top
right: finished mould and model

No comments:

Post a Comment