Friday 13 May 2016

Into the future

I never find it easy to write about the future plans. So many things can change in an instant, and writing somehow brings it to the realm of reality before it’s time. Perhaps I am conditioned by the unpredictability of ceramic process. I’m spending hours and days making objects that will change in the firing, and lots of them will not survive. Glazes look very different when applied, and when fired….and there is no going back, only starting again. One way to avoid most of the “firing disasters” is to keep making things that worked in the past. Over and over again. I guess that that point is what separates the artist from the maker. I want to try new things, develop new ideas and experiment. So the rate of discontent with the results is, I guess, higher than average. Or maybe we just don’t want to talk about it publicly and therefore we help to perpetuate the myth of the smooth road to success. In artistic sense. (See graham-hay.blogspot).
And thus, I don’t find it easy to write about the future plans….
I am working on my first solo exhibition. It will open at Heathcote Museum & Gallery, Applecross, Western Australia, on Friday 8th July 2016.
 Less than 2 months to go and a lot to do. I am still undecided should I document the process and emotional turmoil associated with it in order to shed some light on “behind the scenes”, or should I just give you successes? Vulnerability versus self-assurance. Drama versus Fairy Tale. Perhaps there is a middle ground….



in my studio, surrounded by the works waiting  for glazing and second firing.


This piece will be part of the wall installation...

No comments:

Post a Comment