Sunday 16 March 2014

Back to the drawing board                                         

I have put my analytical hat on in order to methodically approach the Mystery of Non Fitting Triangles.
The first problem: due to its shape (tapering angles) I can't accurately measure the size of the triangle.
Solution: make slightly oversized model and see how my shapes fit on top.
 If I haven't totally blundered in making the shapes, the angles should match....
and they do.
So do the angles on the brackets.
in the moment of practical inspiration I drew the clay shape on the transparency and copied it 6 times. Position of the holes is important.
And there I found it!
The hole on the bracket needs to be 5 mm further from the center. Therefore the bracket needs to be 5 mm longer on each side, as you can see on the paper model (right).

So, back to the bracket making, measuring, connecting and testing the theory....
and this time it works:



Do you want to see it right way up?



It fits! It fits! It fits!
(Of course, that is only first 6 out of 180. And I made 12 brackets out of 540....)
But I will keep those thoughts at bay, and finish with a quote from the father of geodesic domes:

“When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty........ but 
when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.” 
Richard Buckminster Fuller



3 comments:

  1. You are definitely not afraid of hard work are you? I think this will be beautiful. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this blog. Keep it up with sharing such useful information with us. Nice work.
    Ceramic Grinding

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm glad you like it. Gives me warm fuzzies :o)
      Andrea

      Delete