Thursday 29 May 2014

Fractures                                                                                      

The way that pieces broke is really interesting. I would of thought that they would break on the weakest point - narrowest part of the shape, following the construction ( coils) line.
But no, breaks are closer to the middle of the shape and do not follow the lines of coils.
Well, at least I know I can't blame fractures on bad claywork.

I am questioning everything: materials, construction method, design.....

I don't think it is the weight of sculpture as I did not get very far with the assembly, and it was not the bottom pieces that were breaking.

Somebody familiar with the way the skeleton and human body works says that she is familiar with this type of fractures. That is the way our bones break, apparently.
I like the comparison to the skeleton and bones. It speaks of organic origins that intrigue me and inspire my work.




I have attempted a quick internet search of the bone fractures, and just as quickly realized that I could never ever be a doctor.  I can deal with x rays, just not with flesh, blood and pain.


 It is about tension and twist, I think.

During the assembly I was not very comfortable with the way the whole structure moves if the bolts are not tightened (hand tightened, not tool). Yet if it is tightened it becomes too rigid.

I have come to terms that right now, sphere is not going to happen.
My next move will be to try different assembly method.

Almost two months to the exhibition opening - I have plenty of time.


No comments:

Post a Comment