Wednesday 19 November 2014

Mould making                                                                                                                                                                                                                              
I have been absent for a while, recharging my batteries in New Zealand. It was my first visit and I think I'm in love...everything was so green and beautiful. My inspiration folder is full of images of rocks, plants and  textures.
But now that I am back in the studio, it's time to begin prototyping new triangular modules.
I have done the maths, drawn the triangles the size I want to make them and cut them out of the stiff paper. I have found out that the good quality watercolour paper works well for this purpose as it can withstand getting wet on clay multiple times.
My husband made interlocking wooden frames, already cut on the 7 degrees angle so my clay triangle will be larger on the top and smaller on the bottom:


At first I thought that I will hand-build each triangle within the frame


but when I realized that making the first one took close to 2 hours I decided to make a plaster mould.
I also decided to keep wooden frame as part of the mould as it takes care nicely of the 7 degrees angle which would create undercut in a one piece plaster mould.
This is the "lazy mould maker's" way of making the framework for pouring plaster:


the walls are made of polystyrene held in place with bricks, and clay. It is quite flimsy, but it works because I pour plaster into the mould just before it sets, so it is not very liquid and it stiffens within couple of minutes - not leaving it lots of tome to seep through the seams.


And here it is, plaster poured. It will be ready for removal of framework in an hour or so...

1 comment:

  1. I love the lazy mould makers technique! nice one Andrea - very clever

    ReplyDelete